Owner’s ‘disgust’ as probe into dog’s brutal killing closes

Michelle Remmer whose dog Kenzy was killed.
Michelle Remmer whose dog Kenzy was killed.

A MUM has spoken of her “disgust” after police said they had closed their investigation into the brutal killing of her family pet.

Sick yobs tortured and killed much-loved Kenzy before dousing it in petrol and torching its lifeless body back in June.

Michelle Remmer's dog Kenzy

Michelle Remmer's dog Kenzy

The Lakeland terrier cross’s owner, Michelle Remmer, immediately reported the shocking incident to police, and had hoped to see her pet’s killers brought to justice. But she has been told this week that despite various people being questioned, no further action can be taken due to a lack of evidence.

Michelle, 40, from Owton Manor, said: “I have been made aware that no further action is being taken.

“I’m disgusted, but in truth I’m probably not surprised.

“The police say they have questioned a few people who have told them the same thing, but is just no evidence for them to take the matter any further.

“I know who the people were who were supposed to have done this. I walk past them in the street.

“I had hoped they would have been brought to justice for what they did, but that isn’t going to happen now.”

The incident happened when the dog escaped from the family home in Monach Road, in the early hours of Sunday, June 15.

Michelle, mum to Rebecca, 19, and 18-year-old Sophie, spent hours searching the streets for Kenzy, and put a Facebook appeal out for help.

She carried out further searches over the next two days before someone got in touch to say her friend had seen a dog in flames while walking on a farmtrack near the Manor estate.

The time of the dog’s killing coincided with the release of RSPCA figures which show Hartlepool and the surrounding area has the second highest rate of animal cruelty in the country.

And just yesterday, the Mail reported how town man Ryan Young was banned from keeping animals for 10 years and given a suspended prison term after being found guilty of five counts of neglecting his Yorkshire terrier.

The RSPCA inspector who dealt with the case described the dog’s injuries – which included an eyeball hanging out of a socket and a bad skin infection believed to have been caused by boiling water – as “the worst” that she had ever seen.

Young, 22, said the animal was attacked by another dog at his former home in Borrowdale Street, Hartlepool.

The court heard he did not take the dog to a vet because he believed the treatment would cost up to £1,000 and she may get put down.

The dog has since made a full recovery.