Paul Nash charged with manslaughter by detectives probing fatal Hartlepool fire

Andrew Simon
Andrew Simon

DETECTIVES investigating a fatal house fire have charged a 29-year-old man with manslaughter.

Paul Nash, from Hartlepool, is accused of killing 44-year-old Andrew Simon.

Mr Simon died after a blaze at his home in Dent Street, Hartlepool.

Nash, who is in custody, is now due to appear at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court on Monday, July 29.

He had been arrested last week on suspicion of murder and taken to be questioned by detectives.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “Paul Nash, 29 from Hartlepool, has been charged with the manslaughter of 44-year-old Andrew Simon following a fire at his home on Dent Street in the town on June 11.

“He is due to appear at Hartlepool Magistrates Court on Monday.”

A team of 30 detectives and police officers was set up in Hartlepool to catch the person responsible for the fire in the living room of Mr Simon’s home in the early hours of Tuesday, June 11.

The 44-year-old died from smoke inhalation in the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, shortly after the incident.

Superintendent Peter McPhillips has been leading the “major murder investigation” and set up an incident room at Hartlepool’s Avenue Road police station to sift through information that could help find Mr Simon’s killer.

Mr Simon was described as a “much-loved son and brother” who had three children, who now live outside of the area.

His mother, Barbara Simon, 81, who also lives in Hartlepool, also appealed for help in finding her son’s killer, saying: “Andrew didn’t deserve this.”

A 35-year-old man was arrested shortly after the incident on suspicion of murder but was released with no further action.

A 40-year-old was also been arrested on suspicion of arson and manslaughter. She has also been released with no further action.

Anyone with any information should contact the incident room on the non emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.