Romantic rogue took car after one-night stand and was caught drink-diving in Hartlepool

Ryan Morrison leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court after being given suspended sentence
Ryan Morrison leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court after being given suspended sentence

A ROMANTIC rogue took a woman back to her pal’s empty house for a night of passion – and then made off in the homeowner’s car.

Shocked Steph Lilley was furious when she returned to her Hartlepool home to discover her pal Cheryl Dowson had used her house for a one-night stand with Ryan Morrison without asking permission.

But when the pair were asked to leave, he took the keys to Miss Lilley’s Ford Fiesta.

It was only when Steph went to use her car later that day that she realised Morrison had made off in her motor from the driveway of her home.

Steph reported the car had been stolen to police, and officers found Morrison behind the wheel at 3.45pm in the Grange Road area still over the limit from the night before.

He had caused £1,700-worth of damage to the vehicle, with dents to the bodywork, a burst tyre and a buckled wheel. A pair of designer sunglasses and various CDs were also missing from the car.

Steph, 37, a community psychiatric nurse, had been out for a night with pals in Yarm on November 29 last year when her friend took her conquest back to the house in the early hours of the morning.

Stephen Littlewood, prosecuting at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court, said: “Miss Lilley’s friend had been on a night out in Hartlepool when she bumped into the defendant. He bought her drinks and they ended up going on together.”

Despite intending to go back to her own address, they went to Steph’s house in Davison Drive.

Mum-of-three Steph was still out, so her pal let herself and Morrison in.

Mr Littlewood added: “When Steph returned the next morning as planned she discovered her friend in her bed with the defendant.”

The court heard the furious homeowner immediately threw the pair out of her house.

Morrison had been due to stand trial charged with aggravated vehicle taking and theft having previously admitted to driving with excess alcohol, having no licence and no insurance.

But he opted to plead guilty just moments before the trial was due to get underway.

David Smith, mitigating, said Morrison had been suffering from depression and anxiety at the time of the offence and was drinking too much.

Mr Smith said: “He allowed his state of intoxication to impact on his decision making.

“The factors behind this must be addressed.”

Morrison, of Munro Grove, Hartlepool, was given 12 weeks prison suspended for 12 months, and was also banned from driving for a year.

He was ordered to pay £800 compensation to Steph and go on an alcohol treatment programme.

Chairman of the bench John Jenkins said: “The aggravating features are it was taken from a private property and damage was caused to the vehicle.”

Steph said: “I’m furious that my car keys were taken from my house. My car was stolen and numerous items taken.

“The whole incident infuriates me so much.

“The sentence is lenient, but that’s all the court can do.

“At least this way I’m going to get some of the money back for all the damage to my car.”