Street dealer is locked up

editorial image

A HEROIN dealer who was twice caught selling drugs in the street has been jailed for four years.

Malcolm Bradley, 46, admitted selling the Class A drug in Hartlepool to fund his own addiction.

He was arrested on June 2 last year, when police saw four men acting suspiciously in Wynyard Road and suspected an exchange was taking place.

Bradley had 12 wraps of heroin between his buttocks, and five £10 notes were seized from him. A search of his home resulted in a list being found linking him with drug users.

Helen Masters, prosecuting at Teesside Crown Court, said Bradley initially denied dealing but admitted that he gave an unnamed friend a wrap in exchange for allowing him to use his house as a place to store drugs.

A man was then seen on October 9 last year, acting suspiciously in the town centre, making brief telephone calls and looking around. Bradley then appeared with a woman and a young child and the man walked towards him.

They stood close together and Bradley reached into his pocket and they swapped items.

When they were searched by officers, the man had three wraps of heroin, and Bradley had £125 in cash. Analysis of Bradley’s phone showed they had been communicating.

Bradley claimed that the cash had nothing to do with drugs and he said that he was going to the chemist with his girlfriend to collect methadone for her.

Paul Abrahams, mitigating, told Judge Howard Crowson that Bradley now accepts he was taking part in deals but has difficulty coping with emotions and problems in his life.

He added: “He acknowledges the problems from drugs of violence and acquisitive crime in the area where he lives.

“There is a far wider and greater impact not only to the community but also to his family.”

Judge Crowson told Bradley: “The finding of 12 wraps of heroin, some money and a list in your home led to the inevitable conclusion that you were involved in dealing at a low level, lastly because you were a user yourself.”

Bradley, of Wynyard Mews, Hartlepool, was jailed for four years after he pleaded guilty to supplying a Class A drug and possession with intent to supply.