Teen fuelled by drink and drugs held knife to innocent man’s neck and smashed his cheekbone

Teesside Crown Court
Teesside Crown Court

A TEENAGER fuelled by alcohol and cocaine fractured an innocent man’s cheekbone in his own home before holding a knife to his throat.

But Robbie Dinsdale was spared jail after the 18-year-old showed “a good deal of remorse” after the unprovoked attack and in recognition of his previous good character.

Teesside Crown Court heard how Dinsdale, of Masefield Road, Hartlepool, went to a block of flats in Church Street, in the early hours of Saturday, February ,1 this year, where one of his pals had previously lived, but unbeknown to Dinsdale had recently been evicted.

After banging on the front door to no avail, Dinsdale turned his attention to the flat next door and after a conversation with the homeowner, blamed the innocent neighbour for his friend’s eviction.

Jenny Haigh, prosecuting, said: “The defendant was annoyed, angry and under the influence of alcohol and drugs. The neighbour tried to explain, saying he had nothing to do with it but the defendant wouldn’t calm down.”

In a fit of rage, Dinsdale punched the neighbour twice, with one of the blows fracturing the man’s cheekbone, before getting a knife from the kitchen and threatening the frightened victim, holding the weapon up to his throat. He then started “smashing the flat up” causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage. The victim managed to dial 999, at which point Dinsdale turned the knife on himself and started slashing his own arms. Police arrived and forced their way into the flat, where Dinsdale was arrested.

Miss Haigh added: “The defendant accepted his actions were wrong and said he had taken alcohol and cocaine which made him act in a way he wouldn’t normally act.”

The court heard how the victim was forced to take six weeks off work with his injuries and is still experiencing pain more than two months on from the vicious attack. Dinsdale pleaded guilty to assault and a charge of criminal damage.

Jim Withyman, mitigating, said: “The defendant is an 18-year-old man. Although he has a previous caution, he hasn’t been in any other trouble throughout his youth and childhood. He is deeply ashamed by what he did to the young man and he has no intention of ever taking any narcotics ever again.”

Recorder David Osborne said: “You are 18, you are young, you are of previous good character and I think if I give you a chance you will repay that by doing the right thing.”

Dinsdale was given a 12-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months and a 12-month supervision order. He was also ordered to carry out 180 hours of unpaid work and fined £100. He must also pay £100 compensation and a £100 victim surcharge.