Teenager facing stabbing trial after game of football at Hartlepool's Sports Domes

A teenager chased and stabbed another boy in the leg after a game of football turned ugly, a court has heard.

Wednesday, 21st July 2021, 4:45 am

Declan Kelly is standing trial at Teesside Crown Court accused of attacking the 16-year-old after two groups of boys played football at The Sports Domes, in Seaton Carew, last February.

The alleged victim told the jury he thought he had been punched at first.

But when he got home his hand and shorts were covered in blood.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The incident took place near The Sports Domes, in Seaton Carew, after a game of football.

The trial heard Kelly, who was 17 at the time, and the alleged victim were in different groups who agreed to play football with each other.

But the game ended after the alleged victim made a number of strong tackles and the two groups traded insults.

The alleged victim said he left when one of the boys on the opposing team rang their brother.

He said he was followed outside by the group of four teenagers and that Kelly followed him over the road and attacked him.

The trial is taking place at Teesside Crown Court.

The alleged victim said: “[They] started running running after me so that’s when I started running, crossed over the road.”

He said he looked over his shoulder and saw Kelly behind him.

He added: “It felt like a punch in the back of my leg but later I realised it wasn’t.”

Under cross examination, he accepted being aggressive on the pitch in his tackling but said: “Yeah but that doesn’t warrant stabbing me.”

The prosecution allege that after the incident Kelly set up a Snapchat group with his friends telling them not to say anything.

He denied that.

Kelly, now aged 19, denies unlawful wounding.

He said on the way home from The Sports Domes the alleged victim offered to fight him and punched him to the face.

Kelly said he punched him back in self defence, knocking him to the ground and he must have fallen on something to cause the wound.

Martin Scarborough, defending, said: “It’s alleged you punched him and used a weapon or a knife. Did you do that?”

Kelly, of Freemantle Grove, Hartlepool, answered: “No.”

Jon Harley, prosecuting, told the jury the wound was consistent with a knife and there were no other scratches or marks to the boy’s leg.

The trial continues.

Read More

Read More
Increase in police numbers in Hartlepool as force focuses on neighbourhoods

Support your Mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on Pools and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.