Thief trapped himself on wire he was trying to steal from Hartlepool firm

editorial image

A BUNGLING thief botched his own escape from a scrapyard by getting himself caught on some wire he was trying to steal.

Kevin Clark was spotted in Simms Metals, in the Longhill Industrial Estate, in Windermere Road, Hartlepool, filling a wheelie bin with some copper cable belonging to the company, which is said to be worth about £200.

The 34-year-old was spotted by staff at the site and he attempted to escape.

But he got caught on some wire which slowed him down, and he was caught a short distance away.

Police officers were called and when he was searched they found that he had some heroin on him.

Prosecuting, Christopher Rose told Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court: “It was 6.15pm on August 12 when the defendant was seen in the scrapyard filling a wheelie bin with some copper cable.

“He ran off when staff saw him and he managed to get himself caught on some wire.”

He added: “The defendant was arrested nearby and he was also found to have a small quantity of heroin in his possession.”

Clark, of Bodmin Grove, in the Throston area of Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to possession of a Class A drug and theft by finding at Simms Metals, both on August 12.

Mitigating, Martin Scarborough assured justices that heroin was not a factor in the crime, which he described as “spur of the moment”.

He said: “My client was actually working doing some painting in the Seaton Carew area, and he was taking a short cut back home when he came across Simms Metal in Windermere Road.

“He saw a stack of cable and he stopped and foolishly and attempted to take it.

“He was seen, he dropped it, but he didn’t get very far with it because he catches himself on the wire as you’ve heard.”

Mr Scarborough added: “When he was arrested he was found to have a small quantity of heroin. He’s not even on methadone though and he tells me he has put all of that behind him.

“It was a one off, it’s not a problem. I think you can take comfort in the fact that if it was a problem he’d have been back before the court more often.

“The theft was spur of the moment, it wasn’t planned.”

Chairman of the bench Doreen Goode sentenced him to a two-year conditional discharge, and ordered him to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.