Thief who had been banned from Hartlepool shopping centre swipes three pairs of trousers from store


A THIEF went into a men’s clothing store and stole three pairs of trousers.

Carly Bianca Burgon posed as a shopper when she went into The Officer’s Club, in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre, in Hartlepool.

But the 29-year-old picked up three pairs of chinos, worth £30, and put them into a bag.

Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard that unbeknown to her she was being watched and was stopped by a security guard as she left the shop.

Prosecuting, Lynne Roberts-Ploughman said: “A security guard was alerted to a suspicious female in The Officer’s Club store.

“She had previously been barred from the centre due to previous shop thefts.

“She was exiting the store and when approached she produced three pairs of trousers from the bag and dumped them on the floor.”

She added: “All the goods were recovered and she was arrested and interviewed.

“There were also some wire cutters found on her person, to which she made no reply in interview.”

The court also heard that she had 24 offences on her record and was in breach of a conditional discharge which had been imposed in June last year for a dishonesty matter.

Burgon, of Sheriff Street, off Murray Street, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to the theft from The Officer’s Club which took place on February 21.

Mitigating, Neil Taylor said his client had committed the offence because she had no money.

But he said that her offending had reduced considerable over recent months and she was working well with the Probation Service.

He told justices: “This offence was brought about by her financial situation but she now has that sorted and is in receipt of benefits and is getting income support.

“Her financial situation has settled down and there has been no further offending.

“The last theft matter was on August last year and before that it was fairly constant offending throughout 2013.

“That’s not been the way for 2014 and she doesn’t want it to be either.

“She’s effectively been out of trouble since last August.”

Chairman of the bench Keith Gorton sentenced the defendant to a two-year conditional discharge, ordered her to pay £35 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.