VIDEO: 999 call police car ploughs into house

A MUM had a lucky escape after a police car answering a 999 call ploughed into the front of her house – stopping just feet short of where she was sitting.

Horrified Sharon Dean says she feels lucky to be alive after the frightening ordeal which resulted in a police car wedged into the front of the home.

Sharon Dean and Peter Smeatham look at their  damaged home

Sharon Dean and Peter Smeatham look at their damaged home

Despite being sat just inches away from the wall which crumbled at impact, shocked Sharon said her gut reaction was to rush outside to check the driver of the car was OK.

But as the 47-year-old mum-of-three looked back on the frightening incident, she admitted she had had a lucky escape and said if the car didn’t stop she may have been left fighting for her life.

“The first thing I did was to jump up and run outside to check the driver was OK, that’s when I realised it was a police car,” brave Sharon told the Mail.

“It isn’t until now when I look back at what happened I realise how lucky I have been.”

The policeman who was driving the car was taken by ambulance to Sunderland Royal Infirmary after the smash, in Eleventh Street, in Horden, yesterday.

Sharon was sitting with her son, Peter Smeatham, 26, and her friend Norman Ayre, 61, watching the television when the car suddenly smashed into the front of the house.

“There was just this huge smash,” said Sharon, who is also mum to Julie Smeatham, 29, and Daryl Smeatham, 27.

“I ran outside and rang for an ambulance.

“I don’t think what’s happened has really hit home yet.

“I was sat right next to where it’s happened so I realise it could have been a lot worse, I think I’m lucky to be alive.”

Her son, Peter, who is unemployed, said: “I was just sat watching Murder, She Wrote with my mam and Norman and next thing I know there was this crash.

“It’s bad but I think it could have been a lot worse.”

The air ambulance was called to the scene, but the policeman in the car was freed and taken by road to Sunderland for treatment.

He was released last night after being treated for minor injuried.

Initial reports suggested the police car involved in the accident was responding to a report of a theft at nearby Michelle’s Diner.

Owner Michelle Crombie, 35, who lives in Horden, said: “Two of my staff were working and I got a call at home to say there had been a theft.

“A lad had been in and got away with the day’s takings.

“Obviously it was frightening for my staff, they didn’t know whether to confront him or what to do.

“Luckily neither of the members of staff were hurt.”