A football fan has been banned from the town centre whenever Hartlepool United play after being involved in violence at eight games.
Josh Bailey, 18, of Sydenham Road, appeared at Hartlepool Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to causing and contributing to violence and disorder during eight Hartlepool United matches.
Cleveland Police say they will not tolerate anti-social or disorderly behaviour at football matches and hope the banning order will be a warning to other matchday yobs.
Prosecutor James Langley told the court how Bailey had been violent at numerous matches, on December 5, 2014; December 28, 2014; January 24, 2015, March 14, 2015; March 21, 2015, August 8, 2015; August 29, 2015; and October 4, 2015.
Stuart Haywood, defending, said: “He accepts he has been involved and he will be made the subject of a football banning order.
“He is a young man. He is at college and no income other than education maintenance allowance.”
Cleveland Police will not tolerate anti-social or disorderly behaviour at football matches.Football Operations Constable Jamie Smith
Chairman of the magistrates’ bench Peter West gave Bailey a football banning order that will see him barred from attending Pools matches home and away for the next three years as a result of his violent behaviour.
“Hopefully this will be the first and last order of this nature that he is likely to receive,” Mr West said,
On any day Hartlepool United play, Bailey is banned from entering the following streets four hours prior to kick off and six hours after.
The town centre streets include: Middleton Road; Raby Road; York Road; Park Road; Stockton Street; Mainsforth Terrace; Church Street; Victoria Terrace and Marina Way.
The order also applies to any relevant town or city Hartlepool United are playing away at, except Birmingham and London.
Football Operations Constable Jamie Smith, of Cleveland Police, said: “Cleveland Police will not tolerate anti-social or disorderly behaviour at football matches.
“We are therefore pleased that magistrates issued the banning order and hope that this sends out a firm message to the small minority that want to engage in this sort of behaviour at games.”