Woman jailed for glass attack

A THUG who claimed she was taunted about her sexuality has been locked up after smashing a glass in a woman’s face.

Stacey Magill, 20, boasted she had paid thousands of pounds for champagne before she told her victim Victoria Hayes, 33, that she had five minutes to get out of a bar or her jaw would be blown off.

The attack came after a row broke out in Lloyds Bar in Hartlepool and left Miss Hayes with a permanent scar on her forehead and afraid to go out.

Magill, who has a previous conviction for another assault where she also threw a glass at someone, was locked up for the attack when she appeared at Teesside Crown Court to be sentenced.

Miss Hayes had been out with her boyfriend and friends in the Church Street venue when Magill, who was holding a champagne flute, bumped into one of the men and shouted and swore at him.

She was asked to leave, but she returned a short time later when there was a further verbal exchange.

The court heard Magill then threw the glass in the direction of Miss Hayes and it hit her on the forehead and shattered.

Miss Hayes made a victim impact statement saying she was now frightened to go out and she had been forced to change her hairstyle to hide the scar on the forehead.

Magill told police she had reacted to hostile comments about her sexuality and she did not intend to throw the glass at her, said prosecutor Victoria Lamballe.

Nigel Soppitt, mitigating, who asked for any prison sentence to be suspended, said: “She is a positive contributor to society, despite having left home at 13 coming to terms with her sexuality and fearing that she was an undiagnosed dyslexic.

“This attack and perhaps the last attack are out of character when she is sober and not provoked.”

Judge Peter Armstrong told Magill, who was convicted at Teesside Magistrates Court after a trial: “Had it not been that you had been involved in violence before it might have been possible to accede to the proposition of Mr Soppitt.

“Clearly you had far too much to drink and you got involved in an altercation. Clearly the magistrates thought that you had thrown the glass deliberately at her and caused the cut to her face.

“I am afraid there is simply no way of avoiding an immediate custodial sentence.”

Magill, of Endrick Road, Hartlepool, was sent to a young offender’s institution for six months after she was found guilty of unlawful wounding on May 2 last year.