Dad is spared prison term

Peter King
Peter King

A DAD has been spared jail after threatening to break every bone in his former partner’s face.

Dad-of-three Peter King, 40, admitted putting Cheryl Dunn in fear of violence by harassment after bombarding her with mobile calls and texts.

The couple were together for 10 years when she ended their relationship because of his physical and verbal abuse, Teesside Crown Court was told.

King was later jailed for assaulting a male colleague of Ms Dunn, who stood for Hartlepool Mayor in 2009 for the British National Party, after wrongly accusing them of having an affair and when he was freed he was sectioned to a psychiatric unit.

After his release he harassed her by text and phone calls, making 11 calls in one day last October threatening to break every bone in her face, said prosecutor Rebecca Brown.

But King, from Hartlepool, now has custody of their two boys aged five and eight after doctors successfully adjusted his medication, and the couple’s daughter spends most of the time with him.

King has not caused any more trouble since October and Miss Dunn now has a new partner, said Joseph Spencer, mitigating.

He added: “The breakdown of the relationship had a devastating effect on him as a result of him losing his children.

“He accepts his guilt and he apologises to his former partner. He is hoping, depending on the outcome of today’s proceedings, to take the children on holiday on Monday for a week.”

Miss Brown said that Ms Dunn felt that she did not need a restraining order against him.

Judge George Moorhouse told King: “I accept that you are remorseful and that you were ill at the time.

“There have been no problems since October and you now have custody of two young children. I am satisfied that your behaviour since the offences does not warrant a restraining order.”

King, of Bluebell Way, Hartlepool, was given a nine month jail sentence suspended for two years with supervision for 12 months after he pleaded guilty to putting a person in fear of violence by harassment on October 7 last year.