‘Ditch your old chip pan’ warn firefighters after man suffers burns in kitchen blaze

editorial image

FIRE chiefs are urging homeowners to ditch their old chip pans after a man suffered a badly burned hand in a kitchen fire.

Firefighters were called to a house in the King Oswy area of Hartlepool in the early hours of Thursday morning after the man put the pan on but then fell asleep.

Fire chiefs say he woke up to find it on fire and managed to put it out before the brigade arrived. But he suffered a burn to his hand in the process.

Fire watch manager Andy Robinson said people should ditch old-fashioned chip pans due to the danger they pose and issued advice for what top do in similar situations.

He said: “If you have an old style chip pan our advice is to get rid of it because they can be extremely dangerous. People should never drink and fry and don’t leave them unattended.”

The brigade also warns against homeowners trying to put chip pan fires out themselves. Their advice is to close the door, get everyone out of the house and call the fire brigade.

Two crews from Stranton Fire Station attended the incident in Howden Road, Hartlepool, at around 1.50am on Thursday.

The damage was limited to a small area of the kitchen floor where the boiling hot fat had fallen.

But the man in his mid 20s was given first aid to his hand.

Cleveland Fire Brigade’s annual Kitchen Fire Safety campaign begins on Monday, February 10, and runs for three weeks.