Dog rescued by fire crews and given oxygen after Hartlepool house blaze

A dog was treated with oxygen after being rescued from a house fire in Hartlepool.

Saturday, 4th September 2021, 2:13 pm

Cleveland Fire Brigade crews were called to Howden Road in the King Oswy area of Hartlepool shortly after 3am on Saturday, September 4.

Firefighters from Billingham and Hartlepool stations were in attendance at the scene for just under 90 minutes, using breathing apparatus, hose reel jets, a thermal image camera and positive pressure ventilation to bring the blaze under control.

A dog was rescued from the smoke-damaged property and given oxygen by crews.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The property on Howden Road, pictured on Saturday, September 4.

A neighbour later told the Mail that no-one was in the house at the time of the blaze.

Meanwhile, the fire brigade were also called out to an earlier blaze at a disused gym.

Three crews spent around two hours tackling the incident at the former Fitness Connexion, in Brenda Road, after the alarm was raised at 11.38pm on Thursday, September 2.

A switch room was destroyed by fire.

Fire crews were called in the early hours on Saturday, September 4.

Support your Mail and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to all of our news and sport, see

fewer ads, experience faster load times, test your brain with daily puzzles and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

The Hartlepool Mail has been in town since 1877, and your support means we can continue telling your stories for generations to come.