Doncaster 2 Hartlepool 1: Late Mandeville strike robs Pools of point

A last gasp Liam Mandeville strike robbed Hartlepool United of a deserved draw at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Saturday, 19th November 2016, 4:01 pm
Updated Monday, 21st November 2016, 12:28 pm
Padraig Amond

The home side took the lead courtesy of top-scorer John Marquis before Pools got back on level terms thanks to a Padraig Amond spot-kick.

But with the game seemingly petering out and a draw seeming likely, Mandeville popped up with a late winner to break Craig Hignett's men's resolve.

On the selection front Trevor Carson retained his place in the side despite having to pull out of the Northern Ireland squad in the week after dislocating his finger in the 2-0 win over Cheltenham.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Liam Donnelly dropped out of the side through injury with Jordan Richards coming on the right hand side of the back four.

It was the hosts who started the brighter of the sides and had the ball in the net early doors only for the referee to rule it out. Toto Nsiala was adjudged to have been fouled before Marquis turned the ball home.

Marquis was again at the centre of the action, this time it was Carson who was equal to his effort making a smart save from close range to deny the in-form frontman.

But he could only keep the former Millwall trainee quiet for so long - on 24 minutes his header found the back of the net, and was this time given the green light by the officials.

Strangely, despite Donny's dominance, it came in a period where Pools themselves looked set to grab the opener.

Doncaster keeper Marko Marosi was forced off with an injury and the first action sub Ross Etheridge saw was to gift the ball to Amond on the edge of the home area.

Taking a touch the Irishman curled at goal, but instead of nestling in the far corner the ball crashed off the upright and clear.

Unfazed, Doncaster instantly broke, and one simple cross from the left found the head of Marquis who made no mistake to net his 10th League Two goal of the campaign.

But just as they looked to be cruising Pools were handed a lifeline.

The impressive Amond was inexplicably bundled over on the edge of the area, despite having his back to goal and little danger around, and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

The frontman had to keep his nerve, though, as the game was halted for three minutes prior to the decision and the kick itself, as sub keeper Etheridge, very shaky to this point, had to receive treatment on a hand problem.

Amond finally got the chance to take his penalty, and with all the calm assurance in the world he slotted straight down the middle for 1-1.

The strike was no less than Pools deserved, as it took them into the break level.

Amond, lively throughout, skipped into space in the Donny area at the start of the second half and his low right footed volley was saved by Etheridge.

At the other end Donny still carried a threat, with Matthew Bates put under particular pressure from the home forward line.

They almost edged in front when some excellent interplay from Jamie Coppinger and Marquis resulted in the young striker firing over from 12 yards. Carson then had to be sharp to deny Liam Mandeville moments later, with Toto Nsiala mopping up the rebound with a potentially goal-saving challenge.

Pinned into their own half for much of the second 45 Pools defended brilliantly. Nsiala set the trend from the back with his tenacious tackling and quick reactions to keep the home side at bay, while further forward the likes of Nicky Deverdics and Josh Laurent showed there is more to their game than just attacking talent.

And the 661 Pools fans, in fantastic voice throughout, thought they had the winner with a quarter hour left on the clock. Deverdics cut in from the left and curled a right-footed effort at goal, but it was inches past Etheridge's far post, with the keeper rooted to the spot.

But they were to be left heartbroken at the close, with the game seemingly heading for a draw, a cross from the left found its way to Mandeville and the wideman made no mistake from close range.

It was a harsh end to the clash for Pools, who were deserving of a point.