Drink-driver smashed into lamp post

A MAN was more than twice the legal drink drive limit when he smashed his car into a lamp post.

Steven Robert Maw had been out drinking and had left his Citroen Picasso in the Anchor Retail Park, Marina Way, Hartlepool.

On returning to his car, the 40-year-old claimed he was told by a parking attendant that he risked having the vehicle clamped if it was left overnight so he tried to drive it away.

Unemployed Maw then collided with a lamp post, not only causing damage to his own car but to another vehicle and a sign at Burger King.

Police turned up and found the car deserted, so turned up at the registered keeper’s address – Maw’s home – and found him drunk in the kitchen with the car keys next to him.

Prosecutor Samantha Morgan-Bayliss told Hartlepool Magistrates Court: “It was 11.25pm when police attended at Anchor Retail Park, in Hartlepool, after reports of a Citroen Picasso car colliding with a lamp post.

“Upon attending they found the vehicle had sustained considerable front-end damage, there was damage to another vehicle, and to lighting on a sign that belonged to Burger King.

“The vehicle was left insecure but without the key.

“The officers went to the registered keepers address and found Mr Maw, who they believed had been drinking, in the kitchen. Next to him were the keys for the motor vehicle.”

She added: “He was taken to the police station. He accepted that the car was his and he said he couldn’t really remember what had happened and said he’d been drinking and maybe had six or seven pints.

“He couldn’t remember how he’d got home. He remembered asking the parking attendant about leaving the car in the car park overnight but he was told it might be clamped so didn’t dare risk leaving the car and tried to drive it home.”

Samples of his breath were tested and showed he had 91 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Maw, formerly of Windermere Road, but now of Wynyard Mews, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to drink driving on January 21.

Mitigating, Neil Taylor said: “He knew his plan was to leave the vehicle but when he spoke to an attendant he said he might be clamped and that seems to have been the catalyst for the bad and poor decision in trying to take the vehicle home.”

District Judge Martin Walker sentenced Maw to a two-year driving ban, a 12-month community order with 80 hours unpaid work and £85 costs.