Drunk driver faces jail after 80mph Hartlepool chase

editorial image

A landscape gardener sped from police at 80mph and even caused another vehicle to swerve out of the way to avoid a collision.

William Metcalfe raced from police through Hartlepool and even drove the wrong way around a roundabout, Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard.

He admitted dangerous driving, driving with excess alcohol, failing to stop after an accident, and criminal damage.

Andrea Pitt, prosecuting, told the court: “The criminal damage took place when Metcalfe punched and smashed a television screen during an argument with his partner.

“The dangerous driving took place in and around Hartlepool, and the pursuit lasted for more than seven minutes.

“During that time, Metcalfe drove at speeds in excess of 80mph in a built up area.

“He drove the wrong way around a roundabout, approached a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, and caused another car to take to the grass verge to avoid a collision.”

Metcalfe also sent a threatening a text after his mother was arrested in connection with recovering his wallet from his girlfriend’s house.

“The mother was released without charge,” said.

“It appears Metcalf blamed his former partner for the arrest and sent her a text which read: ‘No one gets my mam locked up, you will pay, watch this space’.”

Metcalfe, 36, of Davison Drive, Hartlepool, also admitted witness intimidation.

All of the offences took place between January 8 and 11.

Magistrates decided their sentencing powers were insufficient, and ordered Metcalf to be dealt with at crown court.

Ms Pitt applied for him to be remanded in custody.

Stuart Haywood, defending, said: “Mr Metcalf knows he faces a custodial sentence.

“He has his own business, and would like to set his affairs in order.

“His record shows he does comply with bail conditions.”

The magistrates bailed Metcalf on condition he stays away from his former partner, observes a night time curfew, and reports daily to police in Hartlepool.

The next hearing in Metcalf’s case will take place at Teesside Crown Court on February 9.