Electrical fault sparks taxi blaze

A TAXI was badly damaged after an electrical fault sparked a fire.

Crews from Stranton Fire Station were called to Burn Valley Road, in Hartlepool, on Saturday afternoon after the driver had spotted smoke coming from under the bonnet.

The driver, who worked for Middlesbrough-based Boro Taxis, pulled over the white Skoda Octavia and called for help.

A spokesman for Stranton Fire Station said: “The driver had just dropped his fare off when he noticed the smoke.

“He did well to pull over out of the way of any other cars and called us.

“He was very calm.”

Fire chiefs say the car was badly damaged after the incident at 1.30pm on Saturday.

Meanwhile, crews from Stranton were also called out to two rubbish fires over the weekend.

The first was at 9.40pm on Saturday in Studley Road, Hartlepool, to a pile of rubbish on fire on a patch of grass.

Crews were then called to the rear of Wynyard Mews at 3.30am yesterday.

Both incidents are being treated as suspicious.