A SHOPKEEPER suffered minor burns after an “explosion” inside his store.
Crews from Stranton Fire Station were called to the Lifestyle Express mini market, in Hartlepool’s Raby Road, after reports of an explosion behind the counter.
Fire chiefs have described it as a “vapour explosion” but say they are not 100 per cent sure what caused it and investigations are ongoing.
Firefighters checked CCTV footage and say an explosion was visible, but said there was no need to isolate the gas supply.
The shopkeeper suffered slight burns and there was a small fire which he managed to put out with water before the firefighters arrived.
Police and paramedics were also called to the scene at 5pm on Saturday and the fire crews spent around 90 minutes at the shop.