Firefighters tackle kitchen blaze on Hartlepool estate in early hours of the morning

editorial image

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a kitchen fire at a house in Hartlepool in the early hours.

Two people were treated at the scene for the effects of breathing in smoke but no-one was injured in the blaze.

It happened in Manspool Close, on the Central Estate just before 1am on Sunday.

Auxiliary fire crews from Hartlepool and one from Stockton attended the call which happened during a 12-hour strike by Fire Brigade Union members.

The brigade said everyone from the house was safely accounted for and one person was led out of the property by firefighters.

The ambulance service also attended and paramedics treated two people for smoke inhalation, but they did not need to go to hospital.

A cooker was destroyed by the fire and there was moderate smoke damage to the downstairs of the house.

A further strike was set to take place on Sunday between 10am and 3pm.