First conviction for 58-year-old

Lawrence Martin pictured leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court.
Lawrence Martin pictured leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court.

A DRUNK reveller refused to leave an ambulance and then kicked and lashed out at police after drinking “far too much” on the anniversary of his mum’s death.

Despite warnings, well-known town cross-dresser Lawrence Martin continued to shout at officers and paramedics after a disturbance in the early hours.

His alcohol-fuelled antics landed him in a cell and he was charged with being drunk and disorderly.

Martin, 58, of Rium Terrace, in Hartlepool, faced town magistrates where he pleaded guilty to the charge.

Standing in the dock wearing a red woman’s jumper, black skirt and knee-high black leather boots, he repeatedly apologised to justices for his behaviour.

The court heard paramedics were called to Derwent Street, in the town, at around 5.50am on Thursday, December 29, after receiving reports of a man being injured.

Paramedics started giving treatment to Martin, but the court heard they soon realised he was “just very drunk” and they asked him to leave the ambulance.

He refused and started shouting at the paramedics and police officers who had also attended the scene.

Lilian Atkinson, prosecuting, said: “The defendant was warned, but started kicking and lashing out.

“He was arrested and later charged.”

The court heard how Martin suffers from learning difficulties and cannot read, but does not have any mental health issues.

Ian Hudson, mitigating, said: “This is very rare for me in that the defendant is 58 years of age with no previous convictions.

“It is also unique in that he doesn’t have any addictions to alcohol or drugs.”

Mr Hudson said Martin takes medication, which he refused to take on this occasion, adding: “No medication and far too much alcohol, that has been the problem.”

The previous day was the anniversary of Martin’s mum’s death. She passed away in 2001 and the court heard how he has had great difficulty in dealing with her passing.

Mr Hudson added: “This is a one off.

“There are no injuries and there have been no real threats of violence.”

Martin was given a six-month conditional discharge and was ordered to pay costs of £40.