Hartlepool councillor who was saved by stranger is given all-clear

Ged Hall and Mary Readman
Ged Hall and Mary Readman

A HARTLEPOOL councillor – whose life was saved by a town woman after he suffering a brain aneurism – has been given the all-clear by the medical experts.

Ged Hall, 61, had expected to need referrals to hospital until September 2015 as he continued his recovery from a blood clot on the brain which he suffered on Friday, July 12, 2013.

But hospital consultants have been amazed by his progress and told him he’s been discharged from further help.

Ged said: “My own situation is now ‘on the mend’ and my duties for work and council are resumed”.

He said the reason for his miraculous progress is town woman Mary Readman, 57, whose rapid intervention meant his chances of a total recovery were improved dramatically.

Ged, a Labour councillor who represents the Burn Valley ward, fell gravely ill at his home in Eamont Gardens, Hartlepool in the summer of last year.

He suffered a brain clot and spent the next 36 hours drifting in and out of consciousness.

As he tried to dial for help from someone he knew, he accidentally dialled the home telephone number of Mary who he had never met before.

Mary initially thought it was a prank call as the person on the other end was making groaning and incoherent noises.

But an instinct told her she should ring the police. They broke down the door at Ged’s home where they found Coun Hall unconscious.

He was rushed to the James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough, where doctors performed surgery.

Three operations followed during a three-month stay in hospital which included five days in intensive care.

Ged said: “I met my consultant and he told me ‘your speech has come on in leaps and bounds.’

“He was shaking his head and telling me it was incredible.

“At the end of the questions and answers, he told me ‘I think we can say goodbye now’.

“When I look back on the seriousness of the operation and the aneurism, 40 per cent of people die within an hour.

“It was touch and go but, with the therapy, it seems to have been a total success and that is largely down to what Mary did, and I have enormous gratitude for that. Without her, I would not be here.”

Ged runs his own accountancy business and has taken on extra part-time staff to handle the workload. He said they had “made all the difference”.

Consultants have advised him not to take on too much work now that he has recovered. “I have taken that on board,” he said.

Ged admitted that he was “under a lot of pressure and had taken a lot on” when he had his aneurism.

When Mary was told of Ged’s progress, she told the Hartlepool Mail: “That is amazing news. It is brilliant.

“I am over the moon for him and it is lovely that he is doing so well”.