Hartlepool man jailed for two attacks on woman

A man who inflicted two brutal attacks on a woman he met through a dating website was jailed for two and a half years.

Friday, 27th July 2018, 3:08 pm
Updated Friday, 27th July 2018, 3:12 pm
The case was heard at Teesside Crown Court.
The case was heard at Teesside Crown Court.

Ross Flynn, 28, of Eamont Gardens, Hartlepool, poured beer over his victim and punched her in the face on one occasion, Teesside Crown Court heard.

In the second attack he again punched her in the face and kicked her in the chest after drinking.

The court heard how Flynn began a relationship with the woman in February, and the first attack occurred at the Travelodge in Hartlepool where they were staying overnight on May 9 after they had a night out in the town.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prosecutor Paul Newcombe described that Flynn poured a can of lager over her head and he punched her in the face leaving her with a swollen face, a black eye and bruised ribs.

He held her face up to a mirror saying “Look what you have made me do”.

The relationship continued and on June 9 he attacked her again at his home after drinking two litres of cider, four cans of lager and gin.

She fled into the street where neighbours could hear her crying, him shouting and later her screaming.

Mr Newcombe said that Flynn smashed her £500 mobile phone.

He punched her in the face and kicked her in the chest saying “Don’t cheat on me”.

The court heard she thought that he was going to kill her and she lost consciousness.

Neighbours shouted for him to stop saying that they were calling the police.

Amrit Jandoo, defending, said that Flynn had been shown photographs of her injuries and he was horrified that he could behave in such a way.

He had wrongly believed that she had been unfaithful, and while he was in prison on remand he had been on courses to tackle his behaviour.

Judge Sean Morris said that the woman had learned that men who behave violently towards women often do it again.

Flynn, who appeared over a videolink from Durham Prison, was jailed for 30 months.

He was also slapped with a five year restraining order banning him from contacting her again.

He pleaded guilty to charges of common assault, criminal damage and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.