Hartlepool teenagers jailed after breaking into 84-year-old disabled widower's home as he slept

Two teenagers who burgled the home of an 84-year-old disabled widower have been jailed.

Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 7:04 am
Updated Tuesday, 24th May 2016, 8:08 am
Nathan Beddow

Jeffrey Mincher and Nathan Malcolm Beddow were locked up for a total of four years as Teesside Crown Court heard it was the second time the pensioner’s home had been burgled in a month.

Mincher was given an extra two years for his part in a knifepoint robbery of a 17-year-old youth, who was with his younger brothers and sisters at a play area in Hartlepool.Mincher and Beddow broke into the disabled man’s bungalow as he slept, the court heard.

“The victim woke up at the sound of noises,” said Lewis Kerr, prosecuting. “He then noticed the light in his hallway switch on.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“He walks with sticks, and as he made his way to the bedroom door, the handle turned from the other side.

“The victim shouted, and after opening the door noticed a man flee through a bathroom window which was already broken. Jewellery, watches, an iPad, and cash were missing.

“A sofa in the living room had been slashed, most likely with a letter opening knife.”

The court heard it was the second burglary of the victim’s home in a month.

Mr Kerr added: “Some of the stolen jewellery had great sentimental value, being gifts from his late wife.

“External CCTV captured Mincher and Beddow leaving, and they were identified from the images by police. Some of the stolen property was recovered from each of their homes when they were arrested.”

Mincher, 18, of Allerton Close, and Beddow, 19, of Wasdale Close, both Hartlepool, both admitted burglary on March 28 this year.

Mincher admitted attempted robbery on May 17 last year.

The court heard Mincher made several demands for money from the robbery victim, “punching him in the face as he did so”.

The court heard both Mincher and Beddow have previous convictions for more than 20 offences each.

Lawyers for the pair said it was their first time in prison and both had found it a salutary experience.

Judge Simon Bourne-Arton jailed Mincher for four years, and jailed Beddow for two years.

The judge said: “You either knew he was vulnerable or were indifferent to him. Both of you thought only of yourselves.”