Residents moved out of Hartlepool care home after it’s declared unsafe

Residents of Highnam Hall, Hartlepool, have been moved out after visits by the Care Quality Commission.
Residents of Highnam Hall, Hartlepool, have been moved out after visits by the Care Quality Commission.

Residents have been moved out of a care home after a regulator said it was not safe.

A total of 30 people from Highnam Hall, in Park Avenue, Hartlepool, have been found alternative accommodation while work to address concerns identified by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) are carried out.

The home, which is registered to provide residential care to 37 people – some of whom are living with dementia – is currently rated inadequate by the CQC.

Highnam Hall is owned by Matt Matharu, who was jailed for eight months in February for health and safety breaches at Parkview care home in Seaton Carew.

It was after the death of a pensioner, who was able to climb out of an insecure window and fell from a roof.

Debbie Westhead, CQC deputy chief inspector for Adult Social Care in the North, said: “A CQC inspection on October 2, 5 and 8, 2015, identified continued concerns regarding the safety of the premises at Highnam Hall and subsequent risks to people living there. Our priority is always to ensure the safety and welfare of people receiving services, and in light of the issues identified on our inspection we are liaising closely with Hartlepool Borough Council, who will be ensuring that all residents are moved to new homes where they are not at risk, whilst work to make the premises safe is concluded.”

The last residents left the home on Tuesday.

A council spokesman said: “We are aware of the Care Quality Commission’s decision that, due to premises issues and fire risks, it was not safe for residents to remain at Highnam Hall. 

“Our priority is always to ensure that people are safe and well supported, and we worked closely with residents and their families to support moves to alternative accommodation.”

Highnam Hall was rated inadequate overall by the CQC in January. Findings of its October inspection have yet to be published.

A spokesman for Highnam Hall said: “Required work has commenced at Highnam Hall, and it is estimated that it will take at least four weeks to complete.

“The welfare of residents remains paramount and we are continuing to work with Hartlepool Borough Council and the Care Quality Commission during this time.”