`

House damaged by smoke after fire breaks out in bedroom

The fire broke out inside a house in Carlton Street. Image copyright Google Maps.
The fire broke out inside a house in Carlton Street. Image copyright Google Maps.

The upstairs of a house was left damaged by smoke after a blaze broke out in a bedroom.

Firefighters from Stranton Fire Station were called to Carlton Street, off York Road in the town centre, following a report of a house fire.

While they found a small amount of damage was caused by the heat and flames in the bedroom, the remainder of the room and other areas of the first floor were left badly damaged smoke.

Two officers wearing breathing apparatus went sent in to put out the fire using a hose reel, with a fan then used to clear the fumes and a thermal imaging camera brought in to check the fire was completely out.

The incident happened at 4.20pm and the crews were finished at the scene by 5.10pm.