‘I’ll ram a lorry into police station’ threat by banned Hartlepool driver

Peter Owens leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court.
Peter Owens leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court.

A BANNED driver threatened to ram a lorry into Hartlepool Police Station after he assaulted one officer and hurles racist abuse at another.

This is the latest criminal activity by notorious scrounger Peter David Owens who has appeared in the Mail numerous times over the years for a string of offences and controversial exploits.

Peter Owens leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court.

Peter Owens leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court.

In January last year, Owens was given a suspended jail term after being found guilty of threatening to stab a car wash boss and set fire to the business after he claimed the car wash had damaged the wheels on his S-type Jaguar.

Last April Owens, who has 76 previous offences to his name, was caught driving five high-powered 4x4 cars - all without insurance – and was banned from driving for three years.

In May 2012 he was at the centre of a six-hour stand-off with armed police when he drove his Land Rover on to the beach and in and out of the sea at Seaton Carew after a row with his wife Barbara.

In 2009, he was given a lenient sentence at Teesside Crown Court for a baseball bat attack because of health problems connected to his size.

Owens has also achieved national notoriety for scrounging from the system previously telling the Mail that he bought a quad bike with cash left over from a £1,000 grant he had been given to redecorate his house, and bragged about how much money he received in benefits.

The 44-year-old dad-of-three and step-dad-of-four appeared at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court this week for his latest criminal escapades.

The banned driver was spotted by a patrolling PCSO in a Landrover Freelander in Bruce Crescent, Hartlepool.

He pulled over and got out of the car, telling the officer that problems with his licence had been “sorted”.

But when the officer mentioned checking it, Owens back-tracked and admitted he was still banned.

Prosecuting, Ann Murphy said during the conversation, Owens sat back in the driver’s seat saying he needed to retrieve some medication, and put the keys back into the ignition.

This sparked a struggle between him and the officer, who believed he was about to make off, during which Owens “punched the PCSO to the chest a number of times”, she said.

A police officer of British white Asian ethnicity arrived at the scene and the defendant shouted abuse at him, calling him a number of racially derogatory names.

He then started shouting threats including: “You don’t know what I’m capable of. I’ll get a lorry and ram it through your police station. Watch me you don’t know what I will do.”

Owens, of Miers Avenue, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer, using threatening words or behaviour which were racially aggravated, driving while disqualified and without insurance, on December 9 last year.

Mitigating John Relton said his client was driving because his wife was unwell with “female problems” and was in need of hospital treatment.

He said: “The PCSO thought Mr Owens was going to make off when he put the keys in the ignition, but he was trying to retrieve medication from the boot and to do that the keys have to be in the ignition. He pushed the officer away and he accepts he shouldn’t have done. As for the names he called the sergeant, Mr Owens used generic terms, which are used by a lot of irate suspects, but this officer took it as a personal attack.”

Chairman of the bench Doreen Goode adjourned sentencing Owens until October 17.