Knife attacker jailed for year

A KNIFE thug has been jailed for stabbing a man when the victim tried to get him to leave his house.

Carl Robson stabbed Saleem Rasul in the leg and stomach with a kitchen knife before smashing a window with a lump of wood.

Robson, 21, had been out socialising with friends and Mr Rasul in Hartlepool before going back to Mr Rasul’s parents’ house in St Paul’s Road.

But when Robson became “emotional and angry”, Mr Rasul became concerned and tried to calm him down.

Richard Parsell, prosecuting at Teesside Crown Court, said: “Eventually, he decided the best thing would be to put him out and tried to put the defendant out of the front door.

“As he did so the defendant resisted, and Mr Rasul saw a stabbing motion made towards him.

“He shut the door and noticed his leg was bleeding and realised he had been stabbed in the leg during the encounter at the door.”

Robson, of Belk Street, Hartlepool, then picked up a piece of wood and smashed a window above the front door.

The victim suffered a one-inch cut to his left thigh that needed three stitches.

He also had a small wound to his stomach.

Mr Parsell added: “It is very fortunate the victim suffered no serious injuries as a result of this.”

Robson, an events promoter, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding and criminal damage on January 30.

He was jailed for 12 months.

Paul Cleasby, mitigating, said unresolved personal issues from Robson’s childhood affect his behaviour.

Mr Cleasby said: “These feelings stayed buried deeply within him but when he consumes alcohol sometimes they bubble to the surface.

“It appears that’s what had occurred on the night. The Crown accepts that he didn’t intend to cause really serious harm.”

Judge George Moorhouse said: “I’m quite satisfied that kind of behaviour is so serious to justify a custodial sentence.

“The use of a weapon is extremely serious and indeed you have a previous offence for having an offensive weapon in a public place, namely a cosh, and common assault.”