Landlord who was rescued from Hartlepool pub blaze is ‘stable’ in hospital

Peter Watson.
Peter Watson.

A LANDLORD who was pulled unconcious from a blazing pub is showing signs of improvement in hospital.

Peter Watson was rescued by firefighters after a blaze broke out at The New inn, on Hartlepool’s Headland, in the early hours on Monday.

The 57-year-old was rushed to the University Hospital of North Tees in a critical condition, but a spokeswoman for North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Trust said Mr Watson’s condition could now be described as “stable”.

Mr Watson’s wife Christine was also rescued from the fire and was discharged from hospital on Monday.

The couple live above the Durham Street pub, which was closed when the fire broke out at around 12.30am.

Mrs Watson was lifted from a first floor window of the pub as shocked neighbours looked on.

An investigation into how the fire started is ongoing involving police and fire brigade chiefs.

The bar area of the popular pub was completely destroyed by the fire, which was eventually put out by crews from Stranton, the Headland, Billingham and Stockton.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police has issued a fresh appeal for information from anyone who could help with the investigation.

She said: “Investigations are ongoing to determine what caused the fire at The New Inn.

“We would ask anyone who has any information which could assist us to contact us as soon as possible.”

Officers would like to speak with anyone who may have visited the New Inn that evening or anyone who witnessed the blaze to call Detective Constable Martin Skirving on the non-emergency number 101.

Meanwhile, an investigation has been launched into what caused a kitchen fire in another pub yesterday morning.

Two appliances from Stranton Station were called to The Schooner, in Warrior Drive, Seaton Carew, at around 10.45am yesterday after the blaze was reported.

Steve I’Anson, the pub’s tenant, believes the fire started in an oven in the pub’s kitchen.

Two chefs were in the kitchen at the time but escaped unhurt, and Mr I’Anson said the fire only caused a small amount of cosmetic damage and didn’t destroy any appliances.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Fire Brigade said an investigation will be launched to confirm what started the fire.