Lifesaver Kieran hailed a hero

Melanie Thompson with her son Kieran Bell. . Picture by FRANK REID
Melanie Thompson with her son Kieran Bell. . Picture by FRANK REID

A LOVING mum has hailed her son a hero for helping save her life after she suffered a violent seizure in her sleep.

Kieran Bell, seven, leapt into action after his mum Melanie Thompson suffered the attack while in bed in the early hours of the morning.

The shocked Hartlepool youngster ran to alert other family members and they found Melanie, 27, face down in bed with blue lips, before calling emergency services.

Melanie said: “I am so proud of Kieran, he is my little hero.

“He definitely helped save my life because if I was there alone then who knows what would have happened.

“I am just so grateful he raised the alarm.”

It is the first time Melanie has suffered a seizure and medics have been carrying out a series of tests at the University Hospital of Hartlepool including brain scans, x-rays, blood tests and acupuncture.

The single mum-of-one, who is currently unemployed, bit off part of her tongue during the seizure and health chiefs have praised the youngster for helping to prevent a more serious situation.

Kieran, who attends West View Primary School, said: “I was really scared for my mum and shouted for help.

“I am just so happy she is alive.”

Melanie now plans to shower Kieran with presents and the cheeky youngster has already made a wish-list.

The pair live in Skelton Street, but had decided to spend the night at Melanie’s mum’s house over the road.

They were sleeping in the same bed at around 5.40am on Saturday morning when Melanie suffered the seizure.

Kieran alerted his aunt Vicky Thompson, 26, who rushed into the room to find Melanie, described as “white as a sheet”, face down on the bed with blue lips.

Melanie, who was due home from hospital today, described it as a “dream” and cannot remember much about the seizure.

She added: “The doctors are not sure what caused it yet, but they think it was either an epileptic fit or meningitis.”

Single Vicky, who lives with her parents, said: “Kieran was shouting ‘my mum has been jumping up and down and I don’t know what is wrong with her’.

“When I went in I couldn’t get a response from her and her lips were blue.

“I thought she was dead.

“If Kieran had not come in then she could have stopped breathing.”

Vicky said her great-aunt Edie Thompson suffered from epilepsy, but was not aware of anyone else in the family.

Melanie’s mum Susan Thompson, 53, who is married to Peter Thompson, 50, a taxi driver, said: “It was very frightening for everybody and to be honest I thought she was gone.

“It was awful seeing her lying like that.

“But thankfully Kieran was on hand and we are all very proud of him.”

It was the second time Melanie has had a serious health scare.

In 2005, when Kieran was just three-weeks-old, Melanie developed acute pancreatitis, a sudden swelling and inflammation of the pancreas, and spent seven months in hospital including time in the intensive care unit.

Melanie needed four operations at Hartlepool’s hospital and Freeman Hospital, in Newcastle, and had her spleen and half her pancreas removed, and also developed diabetes.

A spokeswoman for North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust said: “We are sure the whole family is very proud of Kieran for demonstrating such prompt action.

“His quick-thinking has certainly prevented what could have been a very serious situation from happening.

“He is a very special young boy.”

A spokeswoman for North East Ambulance Service confirmed they received a call at 5.42am to reports of a woman having a seizure.

Paramedics assessed Melanie’s condition before transporting her by ambulance to the emergency assessment ward at the University Hospital of Hartlepool, in Holdforth Road, for treatment.