‘Lucky’ escape for Hartlepool man after he accidentally left chip pan on hob

Fire and Rescue.
Fire and Rescue.

A MAN returned home to find his house full of smoke after he left his cooker’s hob on for two hours.

Firefighters were called to a smouldering chip pan at the address in Routledge Court, Hartlepool, just after noon today.

Hartlepool Fire Brigade said the man had a lucky escape as the pan had been unattended for so long without catching fire.

The man thought he had put a pan of soup on his cooker but actually switched on the hob where his chip pan was before going out.

Two fire engines from Stranton Station dealt with the incident at 12.30pm.

Firefighters put a wet towel over the smouldering pan and then used high pressure fans to blow the smoke away.

The brigade says pans should never be left unattended.

Watch manager Andy Robinson said: “He was lucky. Careless mistakes such as this can lead to bigger things”.