Man attacked with pliers in fight

AN ATTACKER stabbed a man with a pair of pliers after lashing out during a violent confrontation.

Anthony Clark, 26, attacked Vincent Douglas several times about the head with the pliers and bit down on his thumb.

A fight broke out between the town men after Mr Douglas, 43, went to his ex-partner’s home in Perth Street, Hartlepool, and found Clark in a back room.

Conor Quinn, prosecuting at Teesside Crown Court, said: “Both men began arguing and a scuffle broke out between them.

“It was during the course of that, the defendant picked up a sharp object and proceeded to stab Mr Douglas numerous times to his head and under his eye.

“Also in the course of the scuffle he bit Mr Douglas’s thumb.”

Mr Douglas suffered three small stab wounds to his scalp, one to his forehead and under his right eye.

He received eight stitches after being taken to James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough, and still suffers numbness in on the right side of his face.

Clark yesterday admitted causing grievous bodily harm in the violent incident on September 9 last year.

He claimed he acted in self defence, but admitted he went too far.

Jim Withyman, mitigating, said: “He accepts he picked up something, he’s not sure what, but it was sharp and inflicted some quite unpleasant injuries to the complainant.”

He added Clark had been in prison for 217 days after being arrested the day after the attack.

Clark, of Wynyard Mews, Hartlepool, was given 12 months jail, but was told he will be released on licence almost immediately from prison after already serving half the sentence.

Judge Peter Armstrong said: “The offence for which I have to sentence you is so serious only custody can be justified for it because you picked up a weapon that turned out to be some pliers which you used to attack Mr Douglas with.

“It’s perhaps by good fortune rather than anything else that you didn’t actually get him in the eye and cause him to be blinded.”

Clark also admitted possession of a small amount of cannabis found on him when he was arrested but received no separate penalty.