Man left almost blinded after drink and drug-fuelled attack

Kenneth Ward
Kenneth Ward

A YOB who left a man almost blinded has been jailed for more than five years for a violent rampage on the streets.

Crazed thug Kenneth Ward left “a trail of carnage” after a drink and drug-fuelled attack left his victim Michael Robson with a ruptured eyeball.

Ward, 21, also attacked a police officer and smashed a family’s front window, screaming at the occupants that he was a psycho, Teesside Crown Court heard.

He told police that he had been drinking and had taken ‘blueys’ before he rampaged through the centre of Hartlepool near his home on November 30 last year.

Michael Robson, who is aged in his 50s, thought Ward was a friend when he saw him approaching and he held out his hand towards him, Richard Parsell, prosecuting, told the court.

But Ward punched him in the face, and as Mr Robson staggered backwards he punched him again in the face.

The court heard Mr Robson was taken to hospital and could have lost sight in his eye because his eyeball was ruptured.

But after a series of operations, surgeons were able to save his sight.

After that attack, Ward then walked across the street and tackled James Bell, who had witnessed the attack, demanding to see Mr Bell’s housemate, Nicholas Dawe.

They went to the house and Ward walked upstairs to Mr Dawe’s bedroom, grabbed Mr Dawe by the throat and punched him in the face causing bleeding and pain.

Ward shouted that Mr Dawe had not contributed to the household bills and picked up Mr Dawe’s mobile phone and took £25 from his wallet.

He then walked out of the house threatening to stab him if he called the police.

Mr Parsell said that Ward moved on “in his trail of carnage” to the home of Rachel Glenn, demanding to see her partner.

He banged on the window and smashed it, before leaning inside and shouting that he was a psycho.

Police were called and found him in the bathroom of his home with cuts to his hands.

He was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, where he was escorted to the toilet to give a urine sample.

But afterwards he punched a police officer three times in the face and had to be restrained.

The officer was left with cuts to his nose and two broken bones in his hand.

Richard Herrmann, mitigating, said Ward was realistic about facing jail and he wanted to apologise in person to his victims.

Ward, of Belk Street, Hartlepool, was jailed for five years and eight months after he pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm, robbery, criminal damage and actual bodily harm assault on a police officer.