Mansfield Town 3 Hartlepool United 1: Match report Stags win with ease

Mikael Mandron in action at Mansfield
Mikael Mandron in action at Mansfield

Hartlepool United's hopes of a third win on the spin was ended in emphatic fashion by Mansfield Town.

Matt Green was the hero, ending a team wait of five games without a goal and a personal drought of eight matches, by scoring twice.

He put the Stags ahead in the 24th minute through Nathan Thomas's cross from the left.

Pools equalised through a 37th-minute OG following Jake Gray's deep free-kick but great second half goals by sub Adi Yussuf and Green gave Town the points.

Pools, clearly boosted by last week's win over Orient, made a bright start.

There was a chance in the 11th minute when Carroll's superb cross from the left was volleyed towards goal by Bingham with Jensen saving magnificently on to the bar4.

But the hosts, without a goal in five matches, soon gopt ijn the ascendancy with Stockton boy Thomas running riot down the home left.

Green was within a midge's toenail of putting Mansfield ahead from Thomas's cross as the Stags threatened.

But they did not have much longer to wait and it was the same combination as Thomas put over a ball unchallenged from the left which GREEN slid in from close range in the 24th-minute.

Pools though were level eight minutes from the break.

Gray delivered a free-kick from deep which Adams attempted to clear only for it to hit PEARCE and beat the unlucky Jensen.


Mansfield 1

Pools 1

Mansfield started the second half the better, winning two corners but could not take advantage.

But their pressure paid off with a stunning 58th-minute YUSSUF strike.

The sub had only been on seconds when he smashed his shot from the edge of the box into Carson's top-left corner.

Pools were in danger again when Green got in behind the defence but Jackson got back to concede a corner.

Moore made two subs, bringing off Oyenuga and Mandron and bringing on Oates and Fenwick.

But Pools, bar one Naismith ball into the box, never got going.

And eight minutes from time, it was all over.

Yussuf got the ball on the edge of the box and teed up GREEN who slipped the ball past Carson from 10 yards.

Naismith clipped the top of the bar with a free-kick and Oates played in a good cross from the left, but Pools could not find a second goal.




Mansfield Town: Jensen, Rose, Pearce, Tafazoli, Adams, N Thomas (Blair 73), Chapman, Clerments, Lambe (Collins 64), Green, Westcarr (Yussuf 55).

Subs: Shearer, Collins, Blair, Yussuf, J Thomas, McGuire, Fitzpatrick

Pools: Carson, Harrison, Jackson, Bates, Carroll, Oyenuga (Oates 57), Gray, Magnay, Naismith, Mandron (Fenwick 70). Bingham.

Subs: Bartlett, Jones, Featherstone, Walker, Oates, Fenwick, Smith

Referee: David Coote

Att: 3,031 (Pools 358)