More than 200 households found themselves at risk of eviction from their Hartlepool homes in the last year, says homelessness charity Shelter.
New research, which uses Ministry of Justice figures, shows one in every 69 rented households in the town was put at risk of losing their home.
Our advisers will be working non-stop over the festive period to support families at risk of losing their home - but sadly our helpline is receiving a huge number of calls and our services are straining under the demand.Alison Mohammed
Shelter looked at the total number of possession claims – the first step towards an eviction – issued by a landlord between October 1, 2014, and the end of September this year.
Director of services Alison Mohammed said: “It’s shocking to think each and every week, hundreds of people in the region receive a notice through the door with the devastating news that they might lose their home.
“Our advisers will be working non-stop over the festive period to support families at risk of losing their home – but sadly our helpline is receiving a huge number of calls and our services are straining under the demand.”
A Hartlepool Borough Council spokesman said: “The council has a duty to rehouse people who are made unintentionally homeless and over the last 12 months, has rehoused 30 individuals or families, although of these, only a small proportion were evictions by private landlords.
“When issues arise over non-payment of rent, we would strongly urge both tenants and landlords to seek advice from debt advice agencies or from the council’s housing advice team to try to resolve the problems before it ends up in legal proceedings.”
To support Shelter’s appeal, visit www.shelter.org.uk or text SHELTER to 70060 to donate £3.