Morecambe 2 Hartlepool United 5: Match report, Luke James scores as Pools run riot

Luke James scored his first goal for a year as Hartlepool United ran riot at Morecambe.

Saturday, 9th April 2016, 4:03 pm
Updated Saturday, 9th April 2016, 4:11 pm
Michael Woods celebrates putting Pools 1-0 up

James thumped in a 76th-minute penalty after sub Brad Walker had been brought down by keeper Barry Roche, who was sent off by referee Carl Boyeson.

The striker's emphatic finish made it 4-1 and while Tom Barkhuisen pulled a consolation goal back three minutes from time, James set up sub Rhys Oates for number five.

It put the seal on a stunning afternoon for Craig Hignett's team by the seaside.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Earlier it was the Nathan Thomas show as the fit-again forward set up the first for Michael Woods before scoring the second and third goals.

Pools made a lightning start at the Globe Arena with two goals in the first six minutes, Thomas at the heart of both.

The 21-year-old left Shaun Beeley for dead befdore driving into the box and shooting with his left foot.

It took a deflection and keeper Barry Roche pulled off a superb flying save to his left. But the ball fell to WOODS whose cool finish put Pools 1-0 up.

The massed ranks of Poolies had barely stopped singing when they celebrating again.

THOMAS skinned Beeley and hit a left-foot shot which was helped in by a Shrimps defender.

It was almost 3-0 in the 12th minute when the unplayable Thomas got clear again and his shot went inches wide of Roche's left stick.

After being thoroughly outplayed early doors, the Shrimps found their feet.

And they pulled a goal back in the 25th minute.

Kevin Ellison had his shot on the turn blocked but the ball ran to KENYON who finished well from the left side of the box.

Pools regained their control and Gray blasted over after a beautiful team move.


Morecambe 1

Pools 2

Pools started the second half as they started the first.

A Carl Magnay cross deceived Roche and almost ended in the home goal but the Pools fans in the away end were soon celebrating.

James was fouled on the edge of the home box but with Thomas in possession, Mr Boyesomn played advantage.

THOMAS beat two Shrimps defenders as he cut in before firing a right-foot shot past Roche.

Morecambe remained a danger and it needed some great defending by Magnay to keep the hosts out on the hour.

Hignett brought on all three subs with Josh Laurent, Brad Walker and Rhys Oates coming on for Gray, Woods and Thomas.

It did not seem to interrupt the Pools flow who remained in charge.

And 14 minutes from time it was 4-1.

Walker went clear and as he rounded Roche, the keeper pulled the midfielder down.

Mr Boyeson pointed to the spot and showed Roche the red card and with no goalie on the home bench, Kenyon putting the yellow jersey on.

Walker wanted the pen but handed the ball to JAMES who thumped the spot-kick home.

The scoring was not over and three minutes fromk time BARKHUISEN scored after Pools gave away the ball.

And James turned provider at the end, beating his marker before squaring for OATES to score from close range in the 89th minute.




Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Parrish, Edwards, Conlan (McGowan 46), Goodsall, Kenyon, Barkhuisen, Molyneux (Stockton 56), Ellison, Miller (OLiver 79)

Subs: McGowan, Devitt, Mullin, Bailey, Doyle, Stockton, Oliver

Booked: Molyneux 45, Barkhuisen 50

Goals: Kenyon 25, Barkhuizen 87

Pools: Carson, Magnay, Jones, Jackson, Carroll, Featherstone, Woods (Walker 70), Hawkins, Gray (Laurent 63), James, Thomas (Walker 70)

Subs: Bartlett, Duckworth, Richards, Laurent, Bingham, Walker, Oates

Goals: Woods 4, Thomas 6, 50, James pen 76, Oates 89

Referee: Carl Boyeson

Att: 2,005 (Pools 727)