Morecambe 3 Hartlepool United 0: Match report, Pools out of FA Cup

Hartlepool United's FA Cup adventure is over after losing heavily at Morecambe.

Saturday, 4th November 2017, 4:03 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 6:40 am
Kevin Ellison beats Scott Loach to put Morecambe in front. Picture by FRANK REID

Pools conceded three times with leading Shrimps scorer Kevin Ellison giving the hosts a fifth minute lead.

After being on the back foot for most of the first half, Pools improved after the break but an Andrew Fleming goal in the 67th minute and a late SCott Loach own goal sealed the fated of Craig Harrison's side.

Kenton Richardson came in for his first start of the season at the Globe Arena.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The 18-year-old started at right-back for Michael Ledger, who broke his nose in the second half at Torquay United last week.

Richardson performed well there in the 2-0 victory at Plainmoor and deserved his start in the first round tie.

Morecambe brought Kevin Ellison into their starting XI while keeper Barry Roche recovered from injury to play between the sticks.

Pools were hit by a Morecambe onslaught from referee Tom Nield's first whistle.

Scott Loach pulled off stunning save on 30 seconds from Adam McGurk's dipping volley and from the corner the keeper saved bravely at the feet of Steve Old.

A goal was coming and it arrived just inside the fifth minute mark.

Aaron Wildig's shot was saved by Loach but the ball fell nicely to the left boot of ELLISON who passed the rebound into the net.

Pools had been blown away by the ferocity of the home start and there was soon a yellow card for Donnelly for a ferocious tackle on Wildig, with the home fans screaming for red.

The visitors finally settled with a Nicky Deverdics free-kick hitting the wall in the 21st minute, with appeals for handball turned down by Mr Nield.

Pools pressed forward though they were almost caught on the break, but a great tackle by Blair Adams deniesd Ellison in the away box after the veteran looked threatening.

Harrison's side came out the blocks quickly for the second half and had more play in the opening two minutes than in the first 45.

But there was a scare just before the hour when Gary Thompson scooped his shot over bar after Brough had skipped away from Laing's sliding tackle.

Pools went close on the hour when Richardson headed wide at the far post from a free-kick.

And Pools had their first effort on target in the 62nd minute when Roche produced a brilliant save from Franks volley after across by Oates from the left.

But Morecambe doubled their lead in the 67th minute through FLEMING.

Sub Oliver threaded ball through and midfielder strolled through and shot through Loach's legs

Oliver was looking a good change by Bentley and he forward got the better of Laing but Loach was down well to save.

Pools, staring defeat in the face, pushed the hosts back, but Roche was not unduly extended, saving easily from George's effort from outside the box while he watched an Adams right-footer sail wide of his left stick.

It was all over in the 85th minute with an unfortunate OG for LOACH.

Laing gave the ball away badly allowing Campbell to shoot. His effort from the the edge of the box hit the post with the rebound striking Loach and ending in the back of the net.




Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Muller, Old, Brough, Fleming, Kenyon, Thompson (Rose 86), Wildig (Campbell 71), Ellison, McGurk (Oliver 65)

Unused subs: Nizic,Conlan, Lavelle, Osborne

Goal: Ellison 5, Fleming 67, LOach OG 85

Pools: Loach, Richardson, Donnelly, Laing, Adams, George (Munns 75), Featherstone, Woods (Rodney 60), Deverdics, Oates, Franks.

Subs: Catterick, Harrison, Hawkins, Newton, Simpson

Booked: Donnelly 8, Featherstone 79

Referee: Tom Nield

Attendance: 2,004 (away 854)