HARTLEPOOL MP Iain Wright has joined the fight to have case files on the disappearance of a youngster who vanished 30 years ago to be released.
Mr Wright asked a Parliamentary question about whether the Government will release information on the investigation of the disappearance of Hartlepool girl Katrice Lee.
Katrice’s father Richie Lee, 62, appeared in the Hartlepool Mail last week urging people to sign a petition that calls for the Royal Military Police (RMP) to hand over the files.
Mr Wright confirmed he had met with Mr Lee and that the MP last week asked a Parliamentary question as to whether the Lee family can have access to the case files.
The town MP, who is expecting a response today, said: “Mr Lee said he was very concerned about the handling of the investigation at the very start.
“He said Katrice didn’t stand a chance in respect of some of the early decisions that were taken.
“Speaking as a dad I can’t think of anything worse.
“I think anyone who is a parent experiencing that moment of panic when you just can’t see your children in a supermarket – Mr Lee has had that for over 30 years.”
Katrice went missing from a NAAFI supermarket in Paderborn, Germany on her second birthday, November 28, 1981.
Richie, who was serving with the British Army at the time and lives in the Stockton Road area of town, appeared in the Mail earlier this month, after the RMP agreed to re-open the case using “modern techniques”.
The family has launched an online petition calling for the RMP to hand over the files and are calling for as many people as possible to sign it.
The petition, which has attracted more than 900 signatures since being launched two weeks ago, can be found by logging on to www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk and selecting the link at the bottom of this story.