Mum wants ban on son

Derek Bell pictured leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court
Derek Bell pictured leaving Hartlepool Magistrates Court

A MUM is seeking a restraining order against her thug son who headbutted her as they spoke for the first time in four years.

Julie Anne Bell had just told ungrateful Derek Bell that she had been saving up for the arrival of his first child when he smashed his forehead against her nose without warning.

The 23-year-old sheepishly told Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court that he regretted the violent act and is “disgusted” by what he did.

Town justices were expected to sentence Bell yesterday after receiving a report from the probation service, but were forced to adjourn the case.

They were told that his mum is seeking a restraining order to keep shaven-headed Bell away from her home in Christopher Street, Hartlepool, but there are complications as they both live in the same street.

Bell, who admits assault by beating on December 10 last year, will be back in court on February 2 to be sentenced and for a decision to be made on the wording of the banning order.

Alan Davison, prosecuting, said: “They had not spoken for four years due to his violent nature. At the end of last year she learnt he was going to be a father. She was hoping to patch up differences and make contact.

“At 12.30am, having been out, she was walking down Sandringham Road when she heard someone shout her name.

“It was her son, and she told him she had been saving up money for him and the forthcoming child. He walked up to her, and she was expecting a warm greeting, but he headbutted her, causing soreness and reddening and her eyes to water.

“He told her: ‘I want nothing to do with you. Leave me and my family alone’.”

Mr Davison added that Bell told police during his interview that his “recollection is vague”, but admitted to hitting her on the nose.

Bell, who wore a suit as he represented himself in court, said: “I’m disgusted by what I have done and take full responsibility.”

When asked about the restraining order, he said he had no objections and that he “hopes everything turns out for the best”.

Bell was granted unconditional bail until his sentencing.