Neighbours help put out fire in kitchen

A MUM grabbed her five-year-old daughter and ran from a burning house after a cigarette sparked a fire.

But her property was saved by two neighbours who put out the blaze in the kitchen before firefighters arrived.

The drama started at 9.35pm yesterday in Cameron Road, Hartlepool, when a smouldering cigarette set fire to a bin and then a kitchen cabinet.

Andy Robinson, watch manager at Stranton Fire Station, said: “She had a cigarette and put it in a bin thinking it was extinguished. The bin was against a kitchen unit door that ignited.

“It triggered the smoke alarms and she ran upstairs to get her daughter then alerted neighbours.

“Two of the neighbours managed to extinguish the fire and we went in to make sure it was out properly.”

l ARE you the good Samaritans who tackled the fire, if so ring the Mail on (01429) 239381.