Noise-sick neighbour lashed out

Share this article

A FED-UP tenant "saw red" after months of partying next door and assaulted a reveller.

Nicola Anne Bunney reached into a taxi full of the party-goers who had left her next-door neighbour's flat, and took hold of the nearest girl to her, justices heard.

The 37-year-old – who was wearing her pyjamas at the time – clutched Vicky Miller by the hair and struck the back of her head up to 10 times before the taxi door slammed shut and drove off.

Miss Miller said it was when she was in Shades nightclub, in Church Street, later that night, that she noticed a "large chunk" of her hair had fallen out, and she has since suffered with headaches and developed a half-inch lump to the back of her head.

Unemployed Bunney appeared before Hartlepool Magistrates' Court on Monday and pleaded guilty to assault by beating on December 31.

Prosecutor Joanne Hesse said: "The defendant reached into the taxi, grabbed Miss Miller by the hair and struck her about nine or 10 times to the back of the head.

"Miss Miller managed to shut the door and the taxi driver then drove off."

She added: "In police interview she said she'd become angry due to the level of noise created by the party, and she saw red.

"She said she had been goaded over a long period of time by the noisy group and had eventually snapped.

"The person she assaulted had not been the main instigator of the noise, but she fully admitted the assault saying she would face the consequences."

Bunney, of Stockton Road, Hartlepool, had no previous convictions recorded against her.

Mitigating, Neil Taylor said: "My client approached the taxi in her pyjamas after her boyfriend had gone to speak to the people about the noise.

"He had followed them out to the taxi, about 10.30pm, but he was faced with a torrent of abuse.

"My client thought it would be better if she intervened and as she walked towards the taxi to speak to the person who lives in the flat she was greeted with abuse and the taxi door was slammed in her face.

"She saw red, opened up the door and grabbed the first girl who was there. She accepts what she did was wrong."

Chairman of the bench Keith Fisher fined her 100, ordered her to pay 100 compensation, a 15 victim surcharge and 85 costs.