Hartlepool Borough Council has begun the process for the demolition of the former Jacksons Landing retail unit.
Councillors voted last month to knock down the controversial building which has stood empty since 2004.
Prior notification for the proposed demolition has been lodged with the authority’s planning department.
It is to determine whether the prior approval of the authority will be needed for the method of demolition.
A site notice states: “It is proposed to carry out the demolition commencing 19.09.2016.”
The application for the proposed demolition says the building would be knocked down using an excavator and cleared to leave just the concrete floor slab.
If approved, the machine would move on to the site just over a week after the site hosts the second We Are Family music event, on Saturday, September 10.
At a meeting of the council’s Regeneration Services Committee on July 22, Denise Ogden, assistant director of regeneration and neighbourhoods, said: “The building has become associated with failure.
“This plan provides the council with the strategic opportunity to deliver transformational change and growth for the local economy.
“There could be leisure, cultural and hotel uses for the site. A development brief has now been created to attract private investors and in fact we are in negotiations with a national hotel developer.”
The demolition is set to cost the council £40,000 having paid £1.5 million for Jacksons Landing with a two-year interest-free loan from a government growth fund in 2013.
The funding was supported by the council’s Finance and Policy Committee.
It is due to go to the Full Council for final approval shortly before the work is due to commence in September.
The decision to demolish Jackson’s Landing has proved controversial. Independent Seaton Councillor Paul Thompson said there is no credible plan in place.