Pan warning after pensioner rescued

FIREFIGHTERS are warning people to not leave pans unattended after a pensioner had to be rescued from her home.

The woman, who is believed to be around 80, had fallen asleep while a frying pan heated up on a hob.

It triggered the fire alarm in the warden-controlled house in Malvern Close, Peterlee. But the elderly woman did not answer her phone when staff rang to check on her.

The fire brigade was called and woke her up before taking her outside to safety while the smoking pan was removed at 7pm on Thursday.

Firefighter Ken Lyons, from Peterlee Fire Station, said: “We would advise people to not leave a pan unattended.

“The woman was fine, she was just a little bit embarrassed by it all and was full of apologies.”