The family of a Hartlepool toddler who is in a coma after choking on a grape are facing an anxious wait to see if he pulls through.
Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins has been in an induced coma since Friday evening, when paramedics brought him back to life after the incident at Pizza Hut on Hartlepool Marina.
His parents, Abigail Wilson and David Jenkins, are keeping a bedside vigil at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.
They have been overwhelmed by messages of support since news of the tragedy broke.
Families from Hartlepool and beyond have been lighting candles of hope and posting pictures on social networking sites in support of Jacob.
His parents have been told he stands little chance of making a full recovery, but he had a settled night last night.
As his family pray for his recovery, they thanked those who have sent messages of support for their son and those who came to his rescue.
An update from his mum last night said: “Hopefully a last update for 2-3 days on Jacob if he stays the same, which we hope for.
“Jacob is still critical and still can go either way, with little chance of pulling through.
“Anyone who knows Jacob knows he is a strong, determined, stubborn little boy and I hope he uses these qualities to pull through for us.
“Jacob is completely supported in every aspect of life by machines and medicines.
“At first we thought his heartbeat was his own, but this isn’t the case - upon further discussion it is controlled through medication.
“On Thursday, Jacob will be given the biggest test he will ever get and that’s to see if he can fight to wake up.
“Anything else that comes after we can deal with and spend a life time working on.
“We aren’t asking for miracles, we don’t expect perfection, we just want him to stay with us.
“Thank you all still for every word, every picture and every prayer. So, so proud to be from Hartlepool, you bunch of amazing people!”