Objections to proposal for 220 homes in Hartlepool as planners recommend refusal
A decision is due to be made on the next step for plans for 220 new homes in Hartlepool.
At the end of last year, Hartlepool Borough Council planning department gave outline planning permission for a 220 home residential development off Elwick Road.
Subsequently earlier this year a reserved matters application was submitted by Barratt Homes North East Ltd for the site, looking to detail the layout, scale and appearance of the proposed new housing development.
The site lies to the west of Cairnston Road and to the south of Worset Lane and has an area of approximately 11.3 hectares.
However council officers are recommending the plans are refused by the council planning committee next week, adding they do not comply with the Hartlepool Local Plan.
A report from senior planning officer Ryan Cowley argues the plans do not meet minimum separation distances between properties or have well-designed off-street parking.
It said: “The proposal would result in an unsatisfactory form of development that would fail to positively contribute to the borough and take the opportunities available for improving the character and quality of the area.
“[It] would have a detrimental impact on the amenity and privacy of future occupiers through issues of overlooking, overbearing, poor outlook and overshadowing.”
In total 33 objections have also been lodged against the plans from residents raising issues such as concerns over inadequate access, over-development of the site, strains on local services, air pollution and a loss of views and greenbelt land.
Plans state the scheme is to be comprised of 29 two bedroom properties, 93 three bedroom sites and 98 four bedroom sites across eight different classes and appearance of property.
Proposed access to the site will be via Reedston Road and would also feature village green space and open space for play areas.
A total of 8% of the homes offer would be affordable housing, with eight two bedroom homes offered for affordable rent, and nine three bedroom properties available for a discount market value.
A planning statement from WYG Consultants on behalf of the applicant argues the proposals offer high-quality housing suitable for the area.
It said: “The proposal comprises a well-designed and high-quality development, which is entirely appropriate in terms of appearance, scale, layout and landscaping.
“The proposed dwellings sits comfortably on the site and will assimilate well into the surrounding area.
“The scale, form and orientation of the properties proposed respect the existing residents to the east and future occupants of the site itself.”
A decision will be made on the plans at the council planning committee on Wednesday, December 18, at 10am at the Civic Centre.