Pickaxe man’s doorstep row after 12 pints

A MAN opened the door to police and aggressively held a pickaxe handle to them.

Michael Edward Hornsey had been out to a darts match and drank 12 pints of lager before returning home where an argument broke out with his wife.

Neighbours contacted police and when officers arrived the 44-year-old threw open the front door of his Kipling Road home, in Owton Manor, Hartlepool, and was standing wearing just his boxer shorts and holding the pick axe handle.

Prosecuting, Joanne Hesse told Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court that the officers felt threatened and in turn used a baton on Hornsey so they could arrest him.

She told justices: “Officers saw the defendant throw open the door and he was stood on the doorstep wearing his boxers and holding on to a pick axe handle.

“He shouted at the officers who told him to put the pickaxe handle down, but he refused and an officer then struck the defendant with a police baton to the left arm.

“He was struck twice more but he still refused to drop the pickaxe handle so he was struck again.

“Another officer struck him with her baton, forcing him to the floor.”

She added: “He was arrested and in interview he said he’d been out at a darts match and had drank 12 pints of lager.

“He said he’d then had a domestic argument with his wife but couldn’t remember why.

“He said he’d picked up the pickaxe handle which someone had given him as protection in his house.

“He said he didn’t put it down when asked to do so, but wouldn’t have hit police with it.”

Hornsey pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer in the execution of his duty on July 14.

Mitigating, John Relton said: “When police arrived he was holding the pickaxe handle in his right hand and their first reaction to that was to strike him across the left shoulder and then to wrap it around his legs causing him to fall to the ground.

“His demeanour, however, caused the officers to fear immediate violence.

“He regrets his actions and apologises for the fact that he behaved in this manner.”

Justices adjourned sentencing Hornsey until the Probation Service has carried out a pre-sentence report.

He was released on unconditional bail until August 20 at 2pm.