Empty Hartlepool bakery to be transformed into cooked seafood takeaway
Plans have been approved for a new “cooked seafood” takeaway in Hartlepool at a disused building last home to a bakery.
The proposals have been approved by Hartlepool Borough Council’s planning department to carry out the work at 143 Stockton Road.
Submitted by Paul Bennett, from Welldeck Road, in Hartlepool, plans state his intentions to revive the property by opening a cooked seafood takeaway at the site.
A report from council planning officer Stephanie Bell confirmed the proposals have been approved, adding they should not have a negative impact on the area.
She said: “It is acknowledged that currently the property is vacant and the proposal would bring a vacant unit back into use.
“The proposed development is considered to be acceptable in terms of the principle of development, impacts upon the amenity of neighbouring land users, impacts on the character of the surrounding area and highway safety.”
The report also noted the council’s public health team were contacted over the plans and raised no concerns.
A planning statement previously submitted on behalf of the applicant states the development will benefit the area.
It said: “The proposal will revive this property, which has remained unused for several years, and complete the commercial aspirations of this row of properties.
“In addition it will provide much needed employment for up to four persons initially, which could increase, depending on the viability of the new outlet, and future expansion.”
The four jobs would include two full-time and two part-time roles at the site.
Planning documents state the building was last used in November 2005 as a “bakery/general dealers”.
A design and access statement adds if the plans are successful, future proposals could be submitted to open a cafe at the site for dine-in customers.
It said: “Mr Bennett’s intention is to apply for a further change of use, to include a cafe, when future conditions allow, and thus combine both to form a cafe & takeaway food outlet.”
Plans state the takeaway will open from 11.30am until 2.30pm six days a week, and it would not be open on Sundays.
However as part of the planning conditions approved, council officers have stated the site is allowed to be open 11.30am to 11.30pm Monday to Sunday if the applicant decides to do so.