Petition lodged over 220-home development planned for Elwick Road in Hartlepool

A petition has been lodged by residents raising numerous concerns over plans for 220 homes in Hartlepool.

Monday, 20th January 2020, 2:13 pm

Hartlepool Borough Council Planning Committee are due to make a decision on Tuesday January 21 on proposals for a 220 home residential development off Elwick Road.

The site subject to the plans from Barratt Homes North East lies to the west of Cairnston Road and to the south of Worset Lane and has an area of approximately 11.3 hectares.

In total over 40 objections have been lodged to the council to date against the plans from residents, raising concerns such as over-development of the area, a negative impact on the environment, road safety issues and crime concerns.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Land to the south of Worset Lane where the propsed 220 home development will take place in Hartlepool

They also raise concerns of potential inadequate access and a flawed consultation process among residents.

Resident David Court, one of those who has objected to the council, has now drawn up a petition on behalf of Elwick Grove residents against the plans.

The petition specifically is against a new proposed footpath included in the plans, which would enter Elwick Grove at the north end of Woodhouse Lane and connect to the proposed new housing site.

He said: “This would promote unwanted and unnecessary pedestrian/pedal cycle and off-road motorcycle passage through Elwick Grove towards Elwick Road, adversely affecting the security of our homes and increasing the likelihood of anti-social behaviour.”

Land to the south of Worset Lane where the propsed 220 home development will take place in Hartlepool

It calls for retaining the current fencing at the north end of Woodhouse Lane and Mr Court said already dozens of signatures have been collected, with the petition due to be completed by Sunday and then handed to council chiefs.

Lynn Gill, whose home overlooks the site, has also submitted her objections on behalf of Elwick Grove residents to the plans.

She said: “I wish to commence with the views of many in the West Hartlepool area, that a development of a further 220 homes is a step too far, in an area where much building is already taking place.

“We feel that they will be an eyesore on our horizon, looking down on us, replacing green fields with, we believe, far too closely packed dwellings; a wall of brick.

“We, as residents, are proud of our town and we want it to thrive, but we do not believe that excessive building is the way to encourage this.

“Already afraid of the rapidly increasing amount of traffic in our locality, we feel that we are at risk from it, in terms of the potential for accidents, from fumes, pollution and inadequate parking.

“Another development of 220 houses and subsequently a likely 400+ cars would be disastrous, in our opinion.”

A decision was due to be made at the planning committee meeting last month but was deferred to allow for a site visit.

A report from council officers ahead of the meeting is recommending the plans for approval.

Representatives from Barratt Homes, speaking after the last meeting, said the homes will provide a boost to Hartlepool and they are committed to making contributions to sport, education and highways in the area.

They said: “The Elwick development has been carefully designed in-line with the Hartlepool Local Plan, and will offer a total of 220 well-designed two, three and four-bedroom homes, as well as the provision of 4.1ha of multi-functional green infrastructure.”

A decision will be made at the council planning committee meeting on Tuesday (21 January) at 10am.