Radio boss hit in club

Jason Anderson.
Jason Anderson.

A RADIO station boss was punched in a nightclub before collapsing outside on the pavement.

Radio Hartlepool’s Jason Anderson, 40, was left with a black eye and cuts and bruises after being set upon in a nightclub.

His wife Louise, also 40, who he was out drinking with, told the Mail she feared her husband was going to die as he laid on the pavement and appeared to be having a fit.

Luckily Jason, a dad-of-two, regained consciousness in the ambulance on the way to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, where he was checked over.

The incident happened in Fever nightclub, which is downstairs in the Hillcarter Hotel, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Jason says he had drank six or seven pints and was waiting for Louise to return from the toilet before they were set to head home.

But just moments later he was set upon and punched in the face.

Louise returned to find Jason dazed explaining to a bouncer what had just happened.

The couple made their way outside to try to stop the attacker and alert the police about what had happened.

But just moments later Jason collapsed.

Two men who work in Parmo’s restaurant, in the Grand Hotel, and who have served the couple on a number of occasions, were on hand and put Jason in the recovery position until the ambulance arrived.

Louise, who works as a secretary at Radio Hartlepool, admitted she was fearing the worst.

“I was so scared,” she said.

“He was just shaking and looked like he was having a fit.”

Speaking from home after he was released from hospital just after 5am on Saturday, Jason said the attack will not prevent him from going for a drink with family in the town.

“It’s pathetic,” said the dad of Abigail, 14, and Emily, 11, who lives in the Grange Road area of Hartlepool.

“Every Friday I go out for a drink with my family and if there is one thing I will not tolerate it is trouble.

“I prefer to just walk away.

“I like to befriend folk. To go out and just hit someone, it’s pathetic.

“It won’t stop me going out, I shouldn’t be going out in fear of being battered.”

Jason says he remembers being punched and making his way outside, but nothing after that until he woke up in the ambulance.

A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police, said: “Police received reports that a 40-year-old man had been assaulted in a nightspot in the Church Street area at around 2.30am on Saturday, August 20.

“A 49-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and has been released on bail pending further investigation.”

A spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service said: “We received a call at 2.30am to an incident outside the Hillcarter Hotel, in Hartlepool.

“A male, who had been assaulted, was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees.”

Anyone with information should ring police on (01642) 326326 or crimestoppers on 0800 555111.