Reveller grabbed officer

A REVELLER who went out to drown his sorrows after losing his job and his girlfriend was arrested after he grabbed a police officer dealing with an incident involving his brother.

Scott Robson had been out drinking in Hartlepool town centre when his brother became involved in an incident police officers were trying to deal with, a court heard.

The 28-year-old saw his sibling lying on the ground with police around him so approached them and took hold of one of the officers by the shoulders and tried to “push and pull” him.

Prosecuting, Paul Power told Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court: “It was 1.55am when police officers on patrol in Victoria Road saw two men squaring up to each other in Avenue Road.

“They alighted from the police vehicle to deal with it when the defendant’s brother got involved and became aggressive towards them.

“They tried to deal with him as best they could.

“He then ran away and he was next seen lying on the floor opposite the Civic Centre.

“An officer ran to where the defendant’s brother was lying and then this defendant became involved.

“He took hold of the police officer around the shoulder area and attempted to push and pull him in an attempt to get him off his brother.

“He was then arrested for obstructing a police officer.”

He added: “Police should be able to go about their business to deal with incidents and stop them.”

Robson, of King Oswy Drive, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to obstructing a police constable in the execution of his duty on August 6.

Mitigating, Stuart Haywood, told justices that his client had gone out that night to try and come to terms with losing his job and his long-term girlfriend.

“When they were out his brother became involved in an incident which led to him being restrained by police,” he said.

“My client was under the drunken misapprehension that his brother was being assaulted by police and didn’t act as he should have done.

“He is guilty of the offence and he is sorry for his actions. He wishes he’d just walked away.”

Chairman of the magistrates’ bench Nigel Guerin fined Robson £70, ordered him to pay £60 costs and a £15 victim surcharge, telling him: “You can’t go around stopping police.

“Hopefully we won’t see you in court again.”